Spring is finally here. The weather is warming up, and you know what that means – it’s almost pool season! If you have an above ground pool, make the most of it this year.
Keep it Clean
Who wants to swim in a dirty pool? Yeah. That’s what we thought. Keep your pool water crystal clear this year by following these simple steps.
- Run your filter 12-18 hours a day.
- Empty the skimmer and pump baskets as needed.
- Test your pH and chlorine levels.
- Check your filter and pump; make sure they’re functioning properly.
- Skim the surface, vacuum and then brush the pool.
- Test the alkalinity.
- Clean the pool deck if you have one. This will help keep dirt and debris out of your water.
- Add maintenance doses of metal control, algaecide and clarifier; and add chlorine tablets, if you use them.
- Backwash the filter if the pressure is 7-9 psi.
- Shock the pool in the evening, using 2 lb. of pool shock per 10000 gallons.
- Check for hidden algae – especially behind steps and ladders.
- Clean the water line and inside skimmer walls with Tile & Vinyl Cleaner.
Have Some Fun
Now that your pool is in great shape, make sure you take advantage of it. After all, you didn’t install a pool just to spend your time cleaning it. Have you ever tried these games?
Atomic Whirlpool – This one will take all of your friends! Have them line up single file along the inside edge of the pool. Make sure they’re standing close together. Have the group start walking in a circle, then after a few minutes begin jogging and finally “run” for a few minutes. If you do it right, the whirlpool will carry everyone around the pool!
Basketball and Volleyball – Basic, but still tons of fun! Purchase a kit made just for an above ground pool, and let the games begin.
Octopus – Someone has to be “it.” Have that person stand in the middle of the pool. The players line up on one side of the pool and try to swim to the other without being tagged. If a player does get tagged, they have to hold hands with “it” for the next round. The game keeps going until everyone has been tagged.
Be sure to take some time to just relax, too. Chill on a float. Lay on the deck. Just … enjoy your pool. And if you don’t have one, we can help with that!