What is Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy, or aquatic therapy, is the therapeutic effect achieved from the use of water-based exercise or from soaking in warm, moving water. The increased buoyancy provided by water allows people to perform exercises they simply wouldn’t be able to on land because of the stress these exercises would place on their joints.
How Can A Spa Help?
A spa combines three factors of hydrotherapy: heat, buoyancy, and massage, creating a relaxing hydro-massage experience. The heat in your HotSpring hot tub raises your body temperature, increasing your circulation. This allow you to relax fully, reduces stress, alleviates pain, and promotes healing.
Some of the benefits of hydrotherapy include:
- Relief for ache and pains
- Reduced muscle spasms
- Increased range of motion
- Strengthened muscles
- Improved circulation
- Increased balance and coordination.
Conditions Hydrotherapy May Help
Some people have found hydrotherapy helpful for these conditions:
- Arthritis – If you have arthritis, the warm water allows your muscles to relax. You may find it eases joint pain, helping you exercise and increasing your range of joint movement.
- Back Pain – Suffer from back pain? The water temperature and speed of water-movement can help relax tense muscles and relieve inflammation and pain.
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee or Hip – A recent study found aquatic exercises and hydrotherapy increased muscle strength and increased walking and speed.
- Fibromyalgia – Many fibromyalgia sufferers have found reduced pain and improved quality of life through hydrotherapy in their home hot tub.
- Cerebral Palsy – Regular hydrotherapy has been shown to improve physical function, strength, and balance.
Hydrotherapy can take many forms, anything from floating in water with increased water temperatures, to full exercise sessions. Because the buoyancy of the water is often used as a means of movement support or to increase the difficulty of physical movement, many people soaking up the benefits of hydrotherapy every day in a HotSpring Spa.